Monday, September 19, 2011

Our Day of Trains: Part 1

Scott had half the day off on Friday, so we made an afternoon of it.  Our first stop was Railroad Park, near downtown Birmingham.  I remember going to a Widespread Panic show 8 years ago at this location when it was just a wasteland near the tracks.  A group of inspiring people, one of whom is our friend Susan, dreamed of making it a green space in the city.  They worked for years fundraising and planning before their vision was made real when the park opened a year ago.  Go here to see the beautiful results.  When I think about how they started with a tiny seed of an idea, climbed mountains of obstacles, and gave our city an incredible gift, I'm so inspired.

I call this shot "More Powerful than a Locomotive..."
You know, except that you can't see the locomotive.

These were taken along the Rail Trail in the park.  Sure wish Owen didn't have 
a smoke stack coming out of his head in that shot on the left.  Almost a great shot!

Things got even better when the ice cream truck rolled up.

Scott and I call this shot "Fu(dge) Manchu".  

Playing in the skate bowl and cooling off in the creek
 (the latter of which is evidently against park rules - oops!).

Playing on the two playgrounds.  

Rolling in the grass like a very satisfied labrador. 

Next stop:  An abandoned roundhouse!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got some great shots!! When are you going to start photographing as a hobby jobby? You can shoot our Christmas cards while you're here!

Shelley & Scott said...

A jobby! I love that term. Would love to take pics of a fun couple like you and Joe. My usual subjects around here aren't quite as cooperative... I get a lot of fake smiles and exaggerated expressions, and not just from Owen if you know who I mean!

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El Niño Y Tu Pilin

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

Los Dos Niños Que Se Encueren Y Tu Pilin Y Tu Culo