Monday, April 12, 2010

... at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Images via Hyperjet's Flikr photostream

After hearing of Owen's excitement about his new train table, my friend Elizabeth declared him ready for an outing to the train depot in Irondale.  The depot sits in front of the Irondale Cafe, inspiration for Fanny Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe in Fried Green Tomatoes.

Elizabeth, Nancy and I packed picnic lunches and took the boys for an outing this morning, and here's how they felt when the first engine came down the line:


Here's how they felt after that engine sounded it's whistle:



But all's well that ends with banana pudding from the Irondale Cafe.  (I'll pass on the BBQ, though.)



Thanks Liz, Nancy and boys!  Idgie Threadgoode herself would have had to be there for it to have been any more fun.



3 comments:

Grandma DD said...

I'm so jealous!!!! I would have loved to have been with ya'll! You know I grew up playing on the railroad tracks. I just love seeing him with his buds!!

Grandma DD said...

Oh --- I forgot ---Nana Puddin! Yum!!!

Kari Anne said...

He looks like he had a blast! Tell Owen that Ms. Kari agrees with him...the whistle from trains is TOO LOUD!! I also agree with DD...nana pudding...yum!!!