Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Coconut

If an unusual fruit or veggie catches Owen's eye in the grocery store, I usually try to take advantage of his interest and buy one for him to try.  That's how we ended up with this coconut.  And the unanticipated perk?  It seems that check-out clerks are less likely to know the codes of weird things, and if you catch one of them having a lazy day, you might get produce for below the marked price.  

Our coconut total:  $0.01


I found the softest of the coconut's three "eyes" and punctured it with some scissors, and then Owen emptied the milk into a bowl.  It was kind of a mess, and there were little coconut hairs all in it, but he seemed to like the taste of it.  

Then it was time for Owen's favorite part:


The bashing.

Wish I could say he loved eating the meat of the coconut, but I think he found all the chewing to be too much work.  It was still a fun little activity to do with him.

What weird thing should we try next?  And is Put the Lime in the Coconut now playing on repeat in your head?  

No?  Just me?



6 comments:

Rebecca Davenport said...

I think you could make him yucca? Taste like french fries when pan fried? I had a papaya this week- hate it!

Seds11 said...

He needs to make me a pina colada!!!

Shelley & Scott said...

Sounds like a good start to a menu, gals!

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you played, "Open up the Coconut" by Roger Day for him? We all love that song!!

Christine Osborne

Shelley & Scott said...

You're going to have to loan us a CD, Christine. We've never listened to him. That's a crime, I know!

Coach said...

You answered my question when you mentioned the eye of the coconut I was going to ask if Owen noticed it (it looked kind of scary looking at you). He is a step ahead of me in so many ways. I have never tasted coconut that I can remember or knew what it was.