Monday, June 6, 2011

Cooking lessons









Our hosts Bilgae and Fabrizio invited us to lunch last Friday and told me I could come early since I'd expressed an interest in learning to make homemade tomato sauce. I'll need a few new tools, but otherwise the process seems replicable. We'll see!

We had a little time to kill while the tomatoes were simmering, so Bilgae gave me a tour of their home. They have lived all over the world: Italy, Turkey, Switzerland, Rwanda, Ethiopia, the U.S. Most of the time it was for work they've done with UNICEF. And their home is full of the most beautiful artifacts. There was an Ethiopian tryptic that illustrated every major scene from the Bible, which Bilgae says they will donate back to the country's national museum someday. It's that amazing.

Scott and I agreed that Friday was one of our favorite days in Italy so far, and we didn't even have to get out the map and go anywhere.

5 comments:

Rebecca Davenport said...

Well... you didn't say how it tasted?!

Grandma DD said...

Hahahaha I was thinking the same thing Rebecca! Did she add any sugar like Americans do? Being immersed into the culture is the best way to go.

Unknown said...

Wow! What an amazing experience. This sounds like a trip of a life time to me- so glad you are enjoying every minute of it!

Shelley & Scott said...

Sorry! I was typing fast so we could get out the door and on the road to the Cinque Terre. The sauce was good - a simple rustic Tuscan version. The cook MariaNina told we was I could fancy it up with other herbs and things if I wanted.

Hey Kristy! We are doing our best to savor every experience. It is definitely a once in a lifetime trip (although my mind keeps trying to cook up ways to come back!).

Shelley & Scott said...

Uh, told ME WAYS I could fancy it up...