Monday, June 20, 2011

What I learned

Lunar eclipse on June 15th.  It was dark, and I didn't have a tripod so it's a little blurry.

I promise not to go too Eat, Pray, Love on you, but I have been trying to process what I learned (or relearned) during our trip, and this is just as good a place as any to get some of it written down.  
  • Improvisation is good, and things almost always work out (provided you don't get all uptight halfway in and ruin it for yourself).  A good bit of our trip was a leap of faith.  Would the place we rented turn out to be a dump?  Would people be nice to us?  Would we do okay driving/navigating?  This philosophy applies to little stuff too, like making dinner and fixing your hair.  So what if it's not perfect; life is more interesting and fun and you learn more when you're on the periphery of your comfort zone.
  • Ordinary places can be just as much fun to explore as big tourist attractions.  The Leaning Tower of Pisa was cool, but so was the farmer's field with the giant snails.  Scott and I realized that there's probably a lot we've been missing right here in Birmingham.  Random Saturday drives are now on the agenda (which dovetails nicely with the whole improvisation revelation).
  • In math terms:  Reading books > watching TV.  And taking time to talk to people > reading books.  Duh in theory.  Not so duh in practice.
  • iPads are not for bloggers or photographers (even amateur ones like me).  They're good for surfing and reading books, but Apple's got some work to do on the other fronts.  That said, I do love the iPad and it's neat-o magnetic cover.
  • Even if a kid is potty trained, always always always keep a change of clothes (and shoes) handy.  A perfect day at the zoo was marred by this oversight, and because middle school is still in Owen's future that's all I'm going to say about that.
  • The exhilaration of a journey is tempered by the absence of friends and family.  I caught myself thinking so many times, so-and-so would love this or I wish so-and-so was here walking with me right now.  You guys are loved and you were missed.

7 comments:

Aunt Pam said...

I love reading your blogs! Glad you had a great time and glad you didn't sweat the little stuff! LOL
Wonderful memories were made and that was important! I love you.

Rebecca Davenport said...

Good lessons! I am so glad you are back!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you ate back! Can't wait to see all of the pictures!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are home...so excited to hear more details in person...and REALLY think you need to write a book!! Love, Liz

Shelley & Scott said...

Thanks ladies for your sweet and encouraging messages!

Grandma DD said...

You need to write a book. I'm telling you. When are you going to get serious and just do it? I want to buy the first book and then 50 more to give to family and friends. I mean it!!!

Coach said...

If you do not want to write your book, you can write one about my life for me. I have had so many people tell me I need to write a book, but you have all the writing talent. As Pam said, everybody loves to read your blogs.